fredag 29. januar 2010

I volunteered again

I went to the Nordic Heritage Museum yesterday, and guess what?! I managed to volunteer. It always happens, you can just say the word volunteer and I'm interested. This time its a good thing, I can talk to people there, and I'm sure some of them are Norwegian and that I can interview them. I was talking to this really nice Swedish lady, and she really wanted to help me, so she suggested that I could volunteer. I don't know what they want me to do yet, but I said I could do almost anything. 




One other ting is that I now have so much respect for my great-grandmother who did this trip all alone with her one(?) year old son. The exhibition was really good and you really could get a good idea of how the journey was, the preparations and the arrival to "the promised country". I'm definitely going there again, and I would recommend everybody to go there if they are in Seattle.   

 


I walked around in the neighborhood after visiting the museum, and many of the houses looked just like they do in Norway. Its a little bit sad that Ballard has changed so much over the past ten years. Many of the people that I talked to said that if I had been here ten years earlier it would look even more like Norway or Sweden. It is kind of a "hip" area now, and that might have changed some of the authentic Scandinavian feeling.  

5 kommentarer:

  1. Wow Runa! this sounds really good, one foot in the game! And I'm so curious with this museum!(haha hjernen min har svikta litt på språkfronten!) Lykke til, jeg er spent på det museet! =)

    SvarSlett
  2. iih hvor det kører Runa, det jeg super glad for!

    SvarSlett
  3. kor spennanes Runa!:D

    <3

    SvarSlett
  4. Jeg fikk nån nydelige tulipaner fra din mamma ikveld - d va koselig :))) Høres ut for at d går bedre å bedre dag for dag.... :)If you find a picture in the museum of a fishing boat called "Thor" (or tor), that was Sevald's cousin's boat. Excellent museum, great you are volunteering. There are always lots of Norwegians studying at the UW - if you go to the Scandinavian Dept you should be able to get in touch with some of them. Enjoy!!

    SvarSlett
  5. Yes, Ballard is changing, especially Market Street and Ballard Avenue. Olsens is now gone, but it was talked about for a long time. The sad joke is that the hot dogs in lefse on Syttende Mai was the day they would make it into the black for the year. The condos have brought in a lot of people for evidence of this, just try the post office .. its always busy now. The new residents bring in their East Coast and California attitudes, but no place can be static forever. As the saying goes "welcome our new condo overlords"!

    SvarSlett