onsdag 12. mai 2010

The focus of my thesis

After three months working in the field, I have finally decided what the focus of my thesis will be. I'm going to focus how the Norwegian Americans show their heritage by being a part of different groups or clubs. My main focus will be the Norwegian Ladies Chorus of Seattle, Norwegian Commercial Club and Sons of Norway in Seattle. Sons of Norway is a very big organization, so I will have to narrow it down to a smaller group, I would have to talk to my teaching supervisor about that. I have some ideas, but I think I need some professional guidance on that one. 



The Norwegian Ladies Chorus of Seattle was founded in 1936 by Dr. August Werner, and they had their first concert September 4, 1936. Their goal is to "study and sing Norwegian folk music and compositions by Norwegian composers, as well as perform limited selections of other appropriate seasonal music".  To day the choir consist of about 25-30 (?) ladies, both of Norwegian descend, married to a Norwegian, “real Norwegian” or just interested in Norway. I was lucky enough to meet these ladies when they were singing at a talent show at Swedish Cultural Center. And they welcomed me with open arms, and they have been really nice to me. I think I will miss them when I go back to Norway!




The Norwegian Commercial Club "Since 1932, the Norwegian Commercial Club has provided Norwegians, Norwegian-Americans and others interested in the Norwegian culture with a place to meet and discuss business issues of the day"(from website). A I see it, this is a way for all the businessmen with Norwegian heritage to meet and create a network between themselves. Because of the big changes that Ballard has gone through the last 15-20 years, most of the Scandinavian companies and stores are gone or moved elsewhere, and many of the people is working in companies that doesn't have anything to do with the Scandinavian society. The Commercial club is a way for these people to connect, collaborate and create a network with each other, a network that normally would not exist to day. 



Sons of Norway is the largest Norwegian organization outside of Norway. It was founded in 1895 by eighteen workin-class Norwegians in North Minneapolis and soon grew to national propotians. Their mission is to "promote and preserve the heritage and culture of Norway, to celebrate our relationship with other Nordic countries, and provide quality insurance and financial products to our members" (from website). When the immigrants came from Norway to the new country it became important for them to meet other in the same situation, and speak the same language, to preserve their own culture, and at the same time be the best Americans. It was a way to make order in the new and different life. This is still the case, it is all about the Norwegian traditions and celebrate their Norwegian heritage.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar