søndag 23. mai 2010

Syttende Mai in Seattle

They say that the Syttende Mai parade in Ballard is the largest outside Norway, and actually the third largest in the world. Only Oslo and Bergen is bigger. I can imagine, the parade lasted for two and a half hour. The Norwegians have been celebrating 17. Mai here since 1889, which means that was a part of the 121th celebration of the Norwegian constitution day in here in Ballard. 

The day started with me, Ingrid and Iris having lunch at the Leif Ericson Lodge. We had salad, fish, potatoes, peas and cake, and of course wine and coffee. A typical Norwegian meal. The Norwegian politician Dagfinn Høybråten was the Grand Marshal, or guest of honor, which means that he was the main speaker at the lunch, marched in the front of the parade, and was the most popular person all day. He had a very nice speech about the relationship between the two countries, the history of Norway and he read a very nice poem that I'm not able to find, but that will look nice on the front page of my thesis. "Two Flags" I think it's name was.

Unfortunately I didn't have my bunad on me. But I had a new dress on, and the Norwegian flag in m hand, so life wasn't so bad after all.







Then the parade started:

They had Norwegian girls in the front carrying Norwegian flags
One of the duties that comes with being the Grand Marshal
The parade was a little bit different than I'm used to in Norway, not that many kids. But it was amazing!
this lady had to be from the northern part of Norway. She knew exactly how to use one of these outside the season and she had really good control over it too.
then some of my roommates cane and joined us. I had told them all about the Norwegian Syttende Mai, and I don't think they were disappointed.
then my frinds from the Norwegian Ladies Chorus walked by. I was going to march with them, but I decided to watch instead. Next time I will join them!
my friends from the Nordic Heritage Museum was there as well
we also met Leif. He is a Norwegian American who loves northern Norway, and my new friend. He had a t-shirt from Lofoten and a lusekofte.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar