mandag 29. mars 2010

The Leif Erikson statue

On Saturday the Sons of Norway had a heritage day, where they were celebrating their Norwegian heritage. The Ladies Chorus where singing, and again, I had a solo; me playing on two large wooden spoons in one of the songs. For some reason everybody thinks that it is so fun that the real Norwegian get to do that, but of course, I get all the attention, and people remember me because of that. My moms friend Sandy, Trygve and Nathalie came to hear me (the chorus) sing. They said we sounded good, but people were talking a lot, so it was kind of difficult to hear what we were singing.
At the heritage day they were serving rømmegrøt, lapskaus, ertersuppe, open face sandwiches (smørbrød) and Kvæfjordkaka. I just ate the cake and it was really good. Of course they were serving coffee and waffles with brunost. But I think by now, that goes without saying. They also were showing a lot of traditional Norwegian handicrafts like rosemaling, knitting and wood carvings. I had my camera with me, but I forgot to take pictures. Since I had visitors we didn't stay for the whole day, but I know that they also had a bunad show and a bunad parade.

Me, Sandy, Trygve, Nathalie and Blythe went to see the Leif Erikson statue. It was huge!

Here is Leif, looking out to the sea (he is looking a little bit like Jesus on this picture because of the sun)

There is 13 rune stones arranged around the statue. The rune stones bear plaques inscribed with the names of Scandinavians who chose America as their new home. You have to pay $125 to get someones names on the plaque, but I really do think it is worth it. It is a nice way to honor the Scandinavian immigrants (without them I would not be here, and I wold have had to write about something else).

To day I was invited by the Norwegian Male Chorus to join them in a monthly potluck dinner (in Norwegian it would be like "spleiselag") at the Norse Home, which is a retirement home with almost only Norwegian residents. After dinner the Male Chorus had a rehearsal in the dining room, and the people that lived there could come and listen.
I think that is a good idea. They do tis once a month, the residents really enjoyed it, and the chorus had to really concentrate and do their best. They sounded really good, and their Norwegian pronunciation was a lot better than the Ladies Chorus. I am working on the pronunciation part with the Ladies Chorus, so by the next concert they will sound like real Norwegians. I can't wait!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar