mandag 15. mars 2010

Reality starts catching up with me

I have fallen into a kind of routine. Not a real routine, but I'm doing things I have done before, and not that many new things. I have started working at the Nordic Heritage Museum. I have been there two times, and the lady that is teaching me is a really nice old lady. She is not that good with the computer, and by the first day I understood the computer cash register better than her. She is so sweet. On Sunday I have my first real workday there. Alone. I'm really exited. 

I haven't spent that much time at the Leif Erikson Lodge lately. I don't know why. I am thinking about focusing mostly about how people show their heritage through music. But I don't know if I will have enough data to do only that. I'm composing a e-mail to my teaching supervisor and ask him what he thinks. I'm also a little bit confused about how much I should tell people. So far what they understand is that I am here do do research and that I'm doing interviews. The participant observation part is more difficult to understand. When I try to explain, they just stare at me with blank eyes, and when the word interview comes up they start to understand. Especially the ladies chorus, I think, need to understand what I am doing. At the same time, I'm just afraid that they will act differently around me when they know that I'm studying them.  I have to just wait and hear what Trond says, he'll know what to do.

On Wednesday I usually go to this café in Ballard called Cupcake Royal. They have the best cupcakes in the whole world! (No mum, I don't eat a cupcake every time I'm there) Last time I was there I was wearing my NRK t-shirt, with a picture of Trond-Viggo Torgersen and quote from his TV-show "Kroppen". The guy behind the counter asked what language it was. When I told him it was Norwegian, it turned out that his family was Norwegian, and that his family celebrated all the Norwegian holidays and made lefse for Christmas and everything (he was even the third cousin of the Norwegian cross country skier Bjørn Dæhlie). The other girl that worked there was also Norwegian descend, but her familiy didn't do anything Norwegian. I'm really hoping to meet them again this Wednesday. I think I can use them in my research perhaps.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar